- Children must be 5 years old by December 31, 2021, in order to be eligible for Kindergarten.
- Parents are asked to register their child at his/her local elementary school during school hours. If you are unsure of your school zone, please call the Stratford Office at (902) 368-6990 or Summerside Office at (902) 888-8400 or Toll Free 1-800-280-7965.
- A registration form will be completed at the time of registration.
- Parents are reminded to bring a piece of Government issued ID verifying proof of child’s age.
- Birth Certificate
- PEI Health Card
- Verification of home address must also be provided, such as a current utility bill.
- Welcome to Kindergarten sessions for incoming students and their parents will be held at schools in the spring of 2021.
Welcome to the Southern Kings Consolidated parent/teacher community! We would like to notify you of the following information to help make this transition into school life for you and your little one a little bit easier!
Welcome to Kindergarten – Parent Information Night: Wed, April 21st @ 6:00 p.m. at SKC
Bring your little one to the school for a brief presentation of information detailing what your child needs to be working on to prepare for entry of Kindergarten. The students will get a short ride on the school bus! The students will also receive a free “Welcome to Kindergarten” bag of goodies and information (including bus stop info) which will be discussed with the parents during the presentation. A recipe for homemade play dough is included in the bag. Due to COVID-19 guidelines only one parent, and the Kindergarten student may attend. All parents and children must wear a mask.
For instructions on how to use every item in the bag, go to: https://www.thelearningpartnership.ca/programs/welcome-to-kindergarten/learning-through-play-videos
*The school supplies fee will be collected on this evening - $45 per student (see below).
*If you did not submit a copy of the child’s health card or birth certificate at time of registration, the missing documentation will need to be collected on Apr 21st or June 4th.
Kindergarten Orientation Day – Parents Do Not Attend: Fri, Jun 4th @ 9:00-11:00 a.m. at SKC
New students will come to the school for half day. Parents will drop off the students in the lobby at 9:00 a.m. (no earlier please). Parents do not stay for this orientation. The students will spend the morning doing crafts, and getting acquainted with their peers and teacher. A snack will be provided to the students (juice box, granola bar and bananas). Pick-up time will be at 11:00 a.m. on the playground (weather permitting) or school lobby. Please ensure your child has a mask.
A fee of $45 will be collected, per student, at the Welcome to Kindergarten night. If you are not able to attend on April 21st, we will collect the money on Jun 4th. The Kindergarten teachers use this money to purchase your child’s supplies for the school year (see below).
Important Bus Stop Info:
There is a brochure included in the bag that outlines how to register your address for a bus stop time. It is VERY important that you do this asap (in early July.) This prevents much confusion in September, and helps the Transportation Dept to prepare bus assignment for new students. This also helps school staff to prepare pick-up/drop-off information for students before the first day of school. If you have a child at this school already, you STILL need to do this, as an additional child alters bus capacities. If you have ANY questions, please contact Transportation Services at 902-569-0597.
For Your Information:
- We have a very helpful, private Facebook group called “Southern Kings Consolidated School”. I would encourage you to join! This group is private, therefore only parents/guardians of active students are approved to join.
- Our school website can be found at: https://southernkings.edu.pe.ca/ . Daily updates are posted here.
- We have a daily breakfast program run by fabulous volunteers – free of charge to students! This is a big hit with the students when they start school.
If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact the school at any time. We look forward to getting to know you better!
EXPLANATION OF SUPPLIES
The $45 paid by parents is used by the Kindergarten teachers to purchase the following items:
Homework Bags and pencil boxes for each student, duo-tangs, loose leaf paper, portfolios, scissors, glue sticks, Hilroy notebooks, construction paper, pencils, erasers, crayons, coloring pencils, markers, Ziplock bags, etc. The teachers are able to purchase all of the same items for each student, and will have everything ready on the first day of school.
Parents are asked to please provide: indoor sneakers, water bottle, lunch box, and backpack.
Please label clothing, footwear, and water bottle. It is also very helpful to send along an extra pair of pants, shirt, socks and underwear to school. This helps the student to feel more comfortable in the event of an accident, spill, or sickness.